Sunday, October 11, 2020

5000 Market Design blog posts and counting

 Peter Coles and I started this blog in September 2008, to help alert students in our market design class at Harvard that market design was everywhere.  Sometime recently I passed the 5000 posts mark.  It turns out I like to blog about market design, broadly construed. And I'm still teaching market design.

The modal tag on my posts turns out to be repugnance, as I've been fascinated by trying to understand which kinds of transactions and markets get social support and which don't. Various design efforts that I've been involved in also have been the subject of multiple posts, with tags like residents and fellowsschool choice, and kidney exchange

Some of my favorite posts (from an incomplete series, whenever I manage to get a picture) commemorate dissertation defences. And under a variety of tags (such as market designers) I like to mark when students and colleagues are celebrated or win a prize. (I look forward to writing more of those.)

Less fun is the growing number of posts tagged  RIP, in which I note the passing of people with whom I've intersected, mostly but not always in a market design connection.

In the first years of the blog I allowed comments, but after I got involved in kidney exchange, I had to regularly erase comments--typically sprinkled each night among old posts--that offered to buy kidneys, at unrealistically high prices, phishing for fools. So at some point I shut down comments, noted in this post: August 25, 2018  No comment(s)

Here are ten posts from the last five years that caught my eye as I scrolled through them before giving up on the clunky scrolling device:

September 30, 2020 A modest proposal for the design of presidential debates

March 2, 2018 The Economist discusses repugnant transactions

No comments: