Friday, March 18, 2022

David Schmeidler (1939-2022)

My old friend David Schmeidler has just passed away. 

We met very shortly after I got my Ph.D.in 1974 and moved to the University of Illinois, where he was a frequent visitor. He was already well known for his work on the nucleolus (a kind of cardinal centroid for games in characteristic function form with sidepayments, which is contained in the (ordinal) bargaining set). 

He was the very model of a modern major game theorist.  At the time we met, I remember being impressed by his breadth of interests, in connection e.g. with his paper with Elisha Pazner on fairness. I asked him how he viewed his work on fairness as connecting with his work on game theory, and as I recall he said something (briefly) to the effect that game theorists should be interested in all aspects of transactions.  I was impressed. (Decades later at dinner in our house in Boston, I told him that, and he replied "Later I decided that was all bullshit."  But I remained, and remain impressed.)

Here's a picture I took of him in 2014, speaking at a conference in Brazil organized by Marilda Sotomayor. 


David Schmeidler in Sao Paulo in 2014

He is probably best known today for his work on various models of non-expected utility theory. Here is David on Google Scholar.

 Here's a tribute to him published two years ago by Peter Wakker, who met him as a grad student in 1984, and recalls him as a man of few words, and big insights.

A Personal Tribute to David Schmeidler’s Influence by Peter P. Wakker Dans Revue économique 2020/2 (Vol. 71), pages 387 à 390

Some of his most important work is with Itzhak Gilboa, who speaks about their work here (video and transcript): Non-Bayesian Decision Theory

Itai Ashlagi recommends these of his papers:

Equilibrium points of nonatomic games,

The nucleolus of a characteristic function game

 Maxmin Expected Utility with a Non-Unique Prior,

Subjective probability and expected utility without additivity.  

*****

Update: Ali Kahn and Mark Machina write perceptive short memories here: https://saet.uiowa.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/18/2022/03/Schmeidler-Consolidated-Copy.pdf 

No comments: