Friday, January 4, 2019

The history of economic engineering, and other sessions at the ASSA today that I'll attend or wish I could

At the ASSA meetings this morning, I'll be discussing a session called

Economics and Engineering: Institutions, Practices and Cultures

Paper Session

 Friday, Jan. 4, 2019   8:00 AM - 10:00 AM

 Hilton Atlanta, 405
Hosted By: HISTORY OF ECONOMICS SOCIETY
·       Chair: Pedro Garcia Duarte, University of São Paulo

 

Engineering, Management Science, and American Economics, 1900 – 1940



Engineering and Economics at Stanford, 1950-1990

Beatrice Cherrier
,
University of Cergy-Pontoise and CNRS
Aurélien Saïdi
,
Paris Nanterre University and ESCP Europe

German Fears in Economic Engineering: An Affective Criticism

Till Duppe
,
University of Québec-Montréal





Discussant(s)
Alvin Roth
*****************
I can't yet be sure what I'll say, but in my discussion of engineering and economics at Stanford I'll surely show a photo or two of Bob Wilson, maybe this old one:
Bob Wilson and Al Roth, Stanford IMSSS, 197x
*************

Later in the day (after some job-market interviewing) I plan to attend the

AEA/AFA Joint Luncheon



 Friday, Jan. 4, 2019   12:30 PM - 2:15 PM

 Atlanta Marriott Marquis, Imperial Ballroom
Hosted By: American Economic Association & American Finance Association
  • Chair: Ben Bernanke, Brookings Institution

  • Speaker: Susan Athey, Stanford University: The Impact of Machine Learning on Econometrics and Economics
  • ************
Since I haven't figured out how to be in two places at once, I'll miss

Putting the "Ec" in Tech: Economics at Tech Firms


Paper Session

 Friday, Jan. 4, 2019   12:30 PM - 2:15 PM

 Atlanta Marriott Marquis, Marquis Ballroom A
Hosted By: NATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR BUSINESS ECONOMICS
  • Chair: Carolyn Evans, Intel Corp.

A Machine Learned, Real Time Measure of the Rate of Inflation

Patrick Bajari
,
University of Washington
Victor Chernozhukov
,
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Ramon Huerta
,
University of California-San Diego
Ashish Mishra
,
Amazon
Bernhard Schoelkopf
,
Max Planck Institute
****************
  • Later, if the creeks don't rise, I hope to attend
  • Market Design for Online Platforms


     Friday, Jan. 4, 2019   2:30 PM - 4:30 PM

     Hilton Atlanta, 223
    Hosted By: ECONOMIC SCIENCE ASSOCIATION
    ·       Chair: Yan Chen, University of Michigan

    Toward an Understanding of the Economics of Apologies: Evidence from a Large-scale Natural Field Experiment

    Basil Halperin
    , 
    Uber Technologies Inc
    Benjamin Ho
    , 
    Vassar College
    John A. List
    ,
    University of Chicago, NBER, Uber Technologies Inc.
    Ian Muir
    , 
    Uber Technologies Inc
    ·        View Abstract

    The Design of Feedback Revision Rules - An Experimental Study

    Gary Bolton
    , 
    University of Texas-Dallas
    Kevin Breuer
    , 
    University of Cologne
    Ben Greiner
    , 
    Vienna University of Economics and Business
    Axel Ockenfels
    , 
    University of Cologne
    ·        View Abstract

    Team Competition and Driver Productivity in Ride-sharing: A Natural Field Experiment at Didi

    Wei Ai
    , 
    University of Michigan
    Yan Chen
    , 
    University of Michigan
    Qiaozhu Mei
    , 
    University of Michigan
    Jieping Ye
    , 
    University of Michigan and Didi Chuxing Inc.
    Lingyo Zhang
    , 
    Didi Chuxing Inc.
    ·        View Abstract
    Discussant(s)
    Laura Gee, 
    Tufts University
    Chiara Farronato, 
    Harvard University
    Stephanie Wang, 
    University of Pittsburgh
    Chenyu Yang, 
    University of Rochester
    ***********
  • and at 4:45
  • Richard T. Ely Lecture Presiding: Ben Bernanke Speaker: David Autor, Massachusetts Institute of Technology Topic: Work of the Past, Work of the Future



No comments: