Saturday, December 18, 2021

70: three score years and ten

 If you persist, you find that 70 isn't nearly as old as you once imagined it to be (and  as it used to be, maybe not even that long ago). Certainly three score years and ten is no longer an inspirationally long life.

(The Hebrew verse 10 of Psalm 90 simply says "70 years." I think that "three score and ten" is a flourish originally introduced in the King James translation.

יְמֵי-שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה

"The days of our years are threescore years and ten, or even by reason of strength fourscore years...")


Earlier this month I was surprised at what I thought would be only a Hanukkah party, by a pre-birthday celebration in which a number of my students located a pretty big group of my former students and postdocs to produce this video of birthday greetings and reminisces. 

I've been lucky in my students and young colleagues, long ago and still today.  Thanks to Alex and the local gang, to all those on the video, and to all those who weren't found by the surprise team, who are all remembered fondly and gratefully...

No comments: